Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Best Gear Purchase Ever

Hey Everyone and welcome to another SDBMWMC blog update. Today I'm showcasing a particular piece of riding apparel I own rather than a motorcycle. This is the BMW Coverall Suit and it's, without question, the best piece of riding apparel I've ever owned. I've been waiting for MONTHS for the weather to break and the cooler temperatures to creep back in just so I can wear this thing again and showcase it here on the web.

The Coverall suit has huge, waterproof zippers along the front and up the length of each leg which means I can throw it over my work clothes (with my boots already on) in seconds and hop on the bike. I chose to size mine a little on the snug side because in the fall, winter and spring I use it as my riding suit. That is, I wear only thermal pants and shirt underneath. The entire suit is 100% waterproof and windproof which unfortunately renders it too warm for the summer months but 90% of my street riding is done from October to May. Here are some of the bullet points from BMW:
  • One-piece suit
  • Three-layer laminate with breathable water and windproof
  • Cordura® 500 outer material
  • Mesh lining for inner pockets
  • Removable SC protectors for shoulders, elbows, hips and knees (two height positions)
  • NP ProAir back protector can be retrofitted in back protector pocket
  • 3M® reflective print on shoulders and back
  • Water and windproof Storm® zips
  • Long front zip and two leg zips for convenience
  • Adjustable waist
  • One waterproof exterior chest pocket, one interior chest pocket, one sleeve pocket on the right forearm, and two pant pockets
  • Sizes (unisex): XS-XXXL
  • Color: black
Like I said, this is the BEST piece of riding gear I've ever purchased. I looked at buying an Aerostitch in spring of last year but the price tag put me off. I hunted around for a used one, looked at the closeouts but still wasn't comfortable with the price. Finally in May BMW released the Coverall Suit in the U.S. $750.00 got me a waterproof, easy, comfortable, good looking textile that folds up small enough to fit in a side case. Thanks for reading.

-Sean DeAngelis

1 comment:

  1. Have you had a chance to try this in cold weather? Any comments on temperature range?

    ReplyDelete